Thursday, July 27, 2017

WHAT'S ON MY MIND!

Why I Love Bergen County by Elma
I have lived in Bergen County for the past 12 years and there was not a single day when it did not feel like home.

Home is synonymous with comfort, belonging and community. In Bergen County, there is a deep-seated feeling of community. Uncompromisable relationships develop between neighbors, between peers, between YMCA staff and members and even between people you see regularly at the grocery store.

I had first sensed the pulse of our community when I moved to Hackensack from Poughkeepsie. My mom had to pick me up from Fairmount Elementary School by foot because our car had broken down. My brother was cooing in his stroller and I hopped along, a carefree preschooler. Suddenly, the sky cackled and the dark clouds opened up to torrential rain.

Without an umbrella we were forced to keep trudging along in this monsoon. Wet and shivering, we made it to the end of the block, still ten daunting minutes away from home. We were stopped in our tracks by a seaweed green truck whose tinted windows rolled down to reveal a familiar face - our crossing guard. Every day we saw her going to school and coming from school. And there she was, willing to go out of her way to take us home.

That is the heart of Bergen County - a feeling of community that persists through thick and thin.

No comments: