While no one looks forward to remembering 9/11, the Volunteer Center of Bergen County does encourage everyone to mark the anniversary of that tragic day by engaging in service projects.
The Volunteer Center will be sponsoring a food drive from 7 AM – 7 PM on Tuesday, September 11 at our office, which is located at 64 Passaic Street, Hackensack.
We are collecting: hearty soups, mac & cheese, diapers (size 2,3,4), peanut butter, canned tuna, parmalat milk, spaghetti sauce, low-sugar cereal, pet food, or other healthy food choices for all ages.
In addition to the Volunteer Center food drive other projects are being held throughout the state. Check out the Jersey Cares website to see other project ideas and check back with the Volunteer Center for projects as they come in.
If you want to host your own Volunteer Project, here are a few ideas:
- Give blood
- Donate children’s books to a Head Start center or library
- Pick up litter in a park or along a sidewalk or roadway
- Pull weeds in a park or along a sidewalk
- Help the homebound or infirm: offer to run errands, sweep a sidewalk, rake leaves, do some gardening
- Bring cookies to a new neighbor
- Write letters to our men and women in the military
- Make tray favors to be distributed to those who receive meals on wheels
You can decide what to do - just do something to make our world a better place.