“Summer is a time for fun - but it is also the time when many young people lose what they learned during the school year and pick up unhealthy eating habits," said Mrs. Obama in launching the program. The Let's Read. Let's Move initiative seeks to combat childhood obesity and summer reading loss by engaging youth in summer reading and physical activity, as well as by providing access to healthy, affordable food. This initiative is an Administration-wide effort led by the Corporation for National and Community Service in collaboration with First Lady Obama and five other federal agencies.
Here are ten ideas around Let's Read. Let's Move.
1. Encourage a child to meet the President's Active Lifestyle Challenge
2. Organize a book drive
3. Create a community garden
4. Build or rehab a playground
5. Clear a walking trail
6. Sponsor a sports tournament or camp for kids
7. Read to kids - reading five books over the summer prevents summer learning loss - it's that easy.
8. Conduct summer feeding program outreach
9. Collect and donate fresh produce from a local farm
10. Organize a back to school supplies drive
United We Serve is a nationwide service initiative that will help meet growing social needs resulting from the economic downturn. With the knowledge that ordinary people can achieve extraordinary things when given the proper tools, President Obama is asking us to come together to help lay a new foundation for growth. This initiative aims to both expand the impact of existing organizations by engaging new volunteers in their work and encourage volunteers to develop their own "do-it-yourself" projects. The 10 ideas above are adapted from Youth Service America.