Bergen Volunteer Center’s Redefining Retirement program matches retirees with nonprofits and community organizations that need support in a wide variety of specific, skills-based volunteer roles.
Currently, Redefining Retirement is working with Bergen’s “Age Friendly” Communities— Englewood, Garfield, Ridgewood, Teaneck, and Westwood — plus Hackensack, hosting once-a-month informal sessions. Volunteer “Matchmakers” are at these sessions to interview applicants and discuss their interests and experiences so that they can connect you with identified volunteer opportunities.
2018 Information Sessions are currently scheduled as follows:
- Englewood Library, 1:00 – 3:00: September 11, October 9, November 13, December 11
- Garfield Library, 11:00 – 1:00: September 10, October 1, November 5, December 3
- Hackensack--Johnson Public Library, 12:00 – 2:00: September 5, October 3, November 7, December 5
- Ridgewood Parks and Recreation Department, 10:00 – 12:00: September 5, October 9, November 7, December 10
- Teaneck Library, 11:00 – 1:00: September 4, October 2, November 6, December 4
- Westwood Community Center, 9:00 – 11:00: September 6, October 4, November 1, December 6
Since the launch of Redefining Retirement a year ago, over 50 volunteers have been matched with volunteer roles. Volunteers have been placed at Meals on Wheels North Jersey; Bergen Family Center, Englewood Community Chest, Holy Name Hospital, Flat Rock Brook Nature Center, Ridgewood Historical Society/Schoolhouse Museum, Mahwah Environmental Volunteers Organization, and Garfield YMCA, to name a few.
“One of our overarching goals is to help Bergen County as a community understand the asset and valuable resource older adults are and will continue to be as our society ages chronologically, but not necessarily mentally or physically,” says Louisa Hellegers, who leads the Redefining Retirement program. She goes on to say, “It is a rewarding experience for everyone to see how the partnership between a retired volunteer and a nonprofit enables caring to be turned into meaningful action.”
For information about the Redefining Retirement program and the scope of the Bergen Volunteer Center programs and volunteer opportunities, visit our website at bergenvolunteers.org. To reach Louisa Hellegers, Manager of Redefining Retirement, email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 201-489-9454, x205.