Friday, September 10, 2010

My Summer of Service

By: Adam Milano, Senior, Bergen Academies

This past summer I spent a week working with children in a remote Peruvian village called Catapalla with Rustic Pathways, a service organization. Working with these kids was such a rewarding experience. The evident admiration of the children as we hiked with them, or their giggles as we struggled in a second language conversation are memories that I will not soon forget. Seeing the smiles on the children’s faces as we would arrive at the school in the morning or as we walked through the orphanage gates made the endless diarrhea, nine days without a shower, and scorpion infested bedrooms worth it. I don't want to come across as a Negative Nancy at all, I loved my trip and definitely plan on going back to the village at some point. Helping these kids is an experience that I am proud of and will never forget.

Read more about Adam's Journey on our VolunTEENs website.

No comments: